Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Elle Decor: Women In Design Night!

Last night I attended the Elle Decor: Women In Design, a celebration of 20 years of Elle Decor and five amazing women in interior design. Among them was Charlotte Moss (who won an award!), Michelle Nussbaumer, Holly Hunt, Kelly Wearstler, and Josie Natori (who couldn't make it). It was amazingly inspiring and the panel discussion format made it a fun and interesting discussion. We were able to see each designers real personality, instead of a staged personality on a reality show (Top Design).

Margaret Russell was monitoring the discussion and she was SO gorgeous. Wearing a little black dress, four inch heels (and an ankle brace), she was graceful and so funny!


I don't know much about Michelle Nussbaumer but from what I learned about her last night she has impeccable style and amazing design. I can't wait to learn more about her.


Charlotte Moss was so feisty and hilarious but beautiful and graceful, as always. She said she keeps a little notepad (or blue leather bound Hermes notepad!) in each purse to write down ideas as they come to her. She also has a blog Tete a Tete that she updates every few weeks.



Kelly Wearstler was quite inspiring, actually. She has such a passion for art and design and beautiful things.



Holly Hunt is another successful entrepreneur and founder of Holly Hunt which started out as a tiny little shop in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago and how she has a huge design empire and amazing showrooms; one in the D & D!


What was the most inspiring thing for me, as a student was that all these women followed their instincts and passions. In school, there are so many rules that often times you get bogged down and inspiration is hard to come by. These women didn't live by a set of strict rules, and though they've made their fair share of mistakes, they live just by their passions. BTW most of the pictures are from Point Click Home. There is a Margaret Russell book signing October 29th at the D&D as well! I can't wait to go.


Alicia B.

5 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh it sounds like a great event! I was so excited when I got the invite, but I couldn't make it out there last night!

Thanks for the recap!

Raina Cox said...

What a fantastic gathering of smart creative women!

More than a little envious over here.

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

I adore reading your blog and am always so happy for your comments on mine, but Ms. Alicia I am afraid I have one word for you today- JEALOUS.

Ok, I have more than that-How frickin cool!! That must have been so exciting, I think I would have tried to sneak an obnoxious amount of pics...please do sure more about what must have been such an awesome experience!

Alicia B. Designs said...

Yeah. It was so much fun and after I went and after all your jealous comments I have to so that I almost backed out at the last minute because of all the work I have for school. It was completely worth it but I'm paying for it tonight!

Down Pillow said...

Sounds like a really fun night - nice to get a dose of inspiration every no & then :)