Monday, January 11, 2010

Russian Design Love

Every now and then my sisters send me interior design articles that they think I haven't seen. My older sister just sent me an amazing and surprising spread from Vogue about Charles and Olya Thompson who did a complete renovation of a townhouse in Brooklyn only to make it look like they'd lived there for decades. The article "From Russia with Love," is from the January issue of Vogue and HERE. There aren't any before pictures but who needs them when you see how they designed it?!
Olya Thompson is a textile designer (and former dancer), which is very evident based on all the fabulous fabrics around the rooms and Charles is a photographer. They have four gorgeous children, too.


The townhouse itself is only 17' wide but seems much larger, don't you think?? This is the girls' nursery with a mural by Alexander Vinogradov and Vladimir Dubossarsky on the walls. This room is the scene of a recently finished "petal throwing party." Have you ever heard of anything so sweet?

In the article, Olya says she was inspired by Yasnaya Polyana, Leo Tolstoy's estate near Moscow, where the couple had their four-day wedding. I love how airy this room is but you are still grounded by the incredible textiles and furniture throughout.

The interiors seems to reflect the couple's passion for design, life, and history; it's really inspiring.

Olya's textile company (which she started with her partner Nathalie Farman-Farma) will launch at the end of this month. It's called Tissus Tartares--I cannot wait to see it.

This is two of the girls bedroom with vintage bed linens. It's so refreshing to see such a romantically inspired interior that doesn't look old or dated.


All the images are from Vogue but you really must read the article too to get a sense of the Thompsons. Is it because she's Russian? Is it because he's a photographer? Whatever "it" is, this couple has incredible gutsy style and amazing passion. What do you think?


Alicia B.

6 comments:

Lynn Byrne said...

Hi Alicia,
Your readers might like to see the highlights from the French Art Deco Furniture Show at the Met. I show something from all the greats on today's post at Decor Arts Now. BTW congrats on the Washington Post notice. Best, Lynn author Decor Arts Now

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

Loved this spread, what a whimsical place to spread wings.

Lain said...

I don't think I've ever been introduced to the Russian design sensibility - I am thrilled! Love the blend of colors, fabrics, textures... gorgeous and full of life. Thank you for sharing!

Robin said...

I think they should adopt me. They'll never notice another person among the 4 kids and I am really good at throwing petals. Plus I always make my bed.

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

It really is beautiful with all the colors and bold pattern. Like some of your other commenters, I haven't paid too much attention to Russian decor sensibilities either. Looks like I need to catch up!!

PS In response to your comment on my blog, I actually use a free program called Gimp to create my 'photoshop rooms'. Just google it-very similar interface, but you'll still be able to make rent after you download it ;-)

Keri said...

Hello Alicia, what beautiful and exquisite taste you have. Love the romance and splendor. I love all things black & white. my blog is all about that. Come and see me some time. I'd be flattered to have you as a visitor/follower too. Keri www.blackandwhitesite.com