Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Felt Adventure at the Cooper Hewitt

Last night I decided to really take advantage of my Cooper Hewitt Museum Membership and I went to a Felt Workshop! I know, felt. It's weird. It's for weirdos with too many cats and people who do crafts on the subway. Well, it is kind of, but it's also incredibly fun (with super cool people too!) and creative.



The workshop was taught by Jessica Franks, from Brooklyn who just opened her own Etsy Shop, June Bug Felts after her incredible success at the Renegade Craft Fair in Brooklyn. She taught us that felting is creative, and a very physical process as well.

The designs can be very intricate or an abstract design. You can make pretty patches or bags as well. I personally think the bags are a little bit to indie, Brooklyn, I ride my bike everywhere to save money etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that I'm not cool enough to pull it off.
You can also do text! This Kiss More patch is only $30.

I was finally convinced a few weeks ago at one of Cooper Hewitt's Friday night garden parties after a few (one okay!?!?) glasses of wine that felt was actually really pretty and there was so much that you could do with it as a material. It's really just wool!

Also felt can be made into furniture. This one is at the Cooper Hewitt, too.


I did a big cursive A for mine! Amateur looking, but I really like it. Felt isn't always weird rock pets, right?


Alicia B.

3 comments:

ashie said...

GORGEOUS! How do you do it... with water/steam and shrinking? (like a hat??)

Alicia B. Designs said...

Great question Ashie! I'm certianly not an expert but water did have a lot to do with the shrinking! Here is a little tutorial that would explain it much better than I! http://www.ehow.com/video_4435361_how-wet-felting-works.html

I love your comments! Do YOU have your own blog??

Unknown said...

Thanks for attending the class and highlighting my work! I had a great time teaching you guys and spreading the felting love :) It was amazing to see the many different directions everyone went with their projects, and definitely an inspiration to me.