Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Roasting Chestnuts over Sandy's Fire

I consider myself extremely lucky to have not been effected by Hurricane Sandy.  We did not lose power, it barely rained, and there was no flooding.  The only thing I can't do, is get to work up in Connecticut because of the flooded tracks.  My little sister, however, is staying with us as she has been...displaced from her apartment down town.  I'm at home all day while my husband and sister go out and earn the bread up in this joint.  So today I slaved away and made roasted chestnuts...and apple pie for my hard little workers!!  Check out my chestnuts.  

I bought 2 pounds of these bad boys at Food Emporium.  

I got this awesome chestnut roasting pan from one of my best friends for my wedding.  I'm not sure why the holes are there but they must serve a purpose.  My mom said that she had a nightmare experience when she roasted chestnuts in a pan without holes.  

It's important to slice a line through each chestnut, though I'd slice an X so that they open easier.  

Be careful while slicing them.  Don't be an animal with the knife like I was.  
Load the pan up with as many chestnuts as you'd like and slip them into the preheated oven (350 degrees) for about 20 mins.  

And there you have it!  Yummy meaty warm roasted chestnuts for you to enjoy on a cold autumn day. 
I've wanted to make slash enjoy roasted chestnuts ever since I spent the fall in Florence and enjoyed roasted chestnuts on the streets shopping around and having the best time of my life (except for every day of marriage to my husband so far!).  Its pretty easy but if you feel you need a recipe, this one from from Martha is doable.  How is everybody doing!?  I hope all my readers and their families are safe and sound!!


Alicia B.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Yum! I love chestnuts. Have you ever had the Chestnut dessert at Barbetta (46th btwn 8th/9th)? It is a bit of a touristy pre-theater place but charming and the chestnut dessert is lovely... (go after 8 when the tourists are gone).

Robin said...

Yum! I love chestnuts. Have you ever had the Chestnut dessert at Barbetta (46th btwn 8th/9th)? It is a bit of a touristy pre-theater place but charming and the chestnut dessert is lovely... (go after 8 when the tourists are gone).

Alicia B. Designs said...

Thanks Robin! That sounds delish and very close to where we live. You've inspired me to make something else with the chestnuts http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2009/03/chestnut_apple_soup hopefully my husband and sister will enjoy this tonight followed by a slice of apple pie!

Anonymous said...

I desire pie.

LindsB said...

Cutting those suckers is hard work- I'm surprised I didnt cut my own finger off when I cut ours. But man, are they so yummy the risk is worth it :)