Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie & Julia: Food and Fab Set Design

Like a lot of people this weekend, I saw Julie & Julia. I LOVED it. It was so inspiring not only as a blogger, but as someone who is trying to overcome their fear of cooking (I mean cooking more than ravioli from the store). I love cooking but I guess i just need to be more like Julia and be fearless (stab lobsters with more gusto or something)! More than anything I loved the set design done by genius, Susan Bode.

Julia at the Cordon Bleu Cooking School in Paris. I loved the white walls, copper pots and the incredible brown and white tiled floor. A nice switch from the usual black and white (which I still adore).

This is her Paris kitchen. Again, I love the copper pots. I'd love to have tile work on the back splash like that.

I can't remember where Julia is now but I think this was one of my favorites because of the grass cloth on the walls which you can see slightly in the background. This apartment was much lighter than the others and that wall paper is so pretty.

Julia's kitchen in Cambridge MA is usually everyone's favorite. I love it too. I learned in the movie that she had the counters raised a few inches because she was so tall! I can't believe it but I adore the robin's egg blue with the light-ish wood in this kitchen.


My favorite part about seeing this movie (besides wanting to go cook after) was that they handed out the recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon from Julia Child's cook book! So cute. What did you guys think of the movie? If you haven't seen it, feign sickness at work and go see it.


Alicia B.

3 comments:

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Hi Alicia-
I saw it, too! Died laughing when Julie gets her first blog comment and stands up in her cubicle to tell her best friend, only to find out the comment is from her mom!
Great post-
Claire

You Are My Fave said...

I'm glad you liked it. I was really wanting to see it but then it got mixed reviews. Bloggers make the best movie reviewers.

Down Pillow said...

It looks like a really great movie, but I don't think I could drag my boyfriend to go see it. I'll probably have to wait for the dvd.