Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hobbit House? I'll take it!

Absent mindedly flipping through the latest Martha Stewart I was astounded by this amazing fireplace!

The scale of it is so unusual and the way it is constructed is so beautiful. The linear arrangement of stones with a keystone shape in the middle is so amazing. This house is a hobbit house in Northern Michigan designed by a developer Earl Young in the 1940's. It is a rounded sort of house constructed of stones with a rounded organic roof. Kind of reminds me of a yurt, which I've done a blog on before HERE. Throughout the rest of the house I was continually surprised at the integration of modern and traditional and organic elements. I just love the name Hobbit House, too!

Alicia B.

2 comments:

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

I'm intrigued! I'll have t go look this one up! Cheers to cool old odd houses...and those of us dorks who LOVE them!

PS Thanks for following me!!!

Down Pillow said...

So unique - I've never seen anything quite like it. Very cool :)