Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Round Mirrors over the Mantel? I'm in!



Yesterday I was scanning through Elizabeth Dinkel's Portfolio, which I highly recommend, I'm going to have to add her to my inspirational designers folder, and I came across the picture above. I absolutely loved the round convex mirror over the fireplace mantel. It is over-scaled, and has amazing depth. I got curious about this idea of round mirrors over fireplaces; so many people put flat screens which makes me shudder. Take a look at all the different styles.

Todd Romano uses a round mirror in this large and elegant dining room. I like how it is a faded white color and blends into the wallpaper.

This mirror is quite traditional, as are many round mirrors. It is small but clearly the attention should be paid to the large chandelier in the room by Shiela Bridges.

Isn't the wallpaper in here stunning? The flat mirror and the flat fireplace look so pretty on the wallpaper. Just STUNNING. Designed by Nathan Egan.

That's right, there's a mirror there! Leta Austin Foster used a sunburst mirror. I love the dark reds in this room, it's actually calming feeling. And the apple green ceramic stools really balance it out.

This is from Eddie Ross's portfolio. This entire wall is basically mirrors and actually the traditional mirror breaks it up a bit.


I think I love everything about this room, from my dear Domino. This looks like an over-sized pocket mirror, and is hanging on a chain (from Ballard Designs).

Also from Domino, a pair of round mirror with a pair of scones next to it. I love the asymmetrical look to this with pairs.

What a gorgeous scene from Living etc. A pretty and neutral living room livened up with a fabulous mantle display and a Venetian mirror--leaning.


I'm a traditional kind of girl and love to have a gorgeous painting over the mantle, but I think that a round mirror or regular mirror as well is a fun alternative. A mirror adds the illusion of space to a room and a round mirror in particular can add a focal point to the room. Too bad for me I don't have a fireplace in my little apartment but I will be putting a mirror in my foyer to make it look bigger!

PS-ONE DAY LEFT to enter the floor lamp give-away contest! CLICK HERE if you can't be bothered to scroll down.

Also, thank you to My Design Secrets for the guest blog yesterday!


Alicia B.

6 comments:

Raina Cox said...

Yowza! The mirror in that top photo is nothing short of gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I'm not convinced by that one with two mirrors. It looks like eyes looking out at you! No thanks.

Anonymous said...

Some wonderful photos, as usual :) Love the purple wallpaper, too - & the photo from Living etc. is gorgeous!

dwelling and design said...

I love that ballard designs mirror. Its an obsession actually.

Christian said...

You blog has such beautiful photos, perfect for showing people how they can make their houe and home gorgeous.

Glubber Shaw said...

Fantastic collection of Mantle Venetian Mirrors.
These mirrors are elegant enough to enhance the decor of home.
Thanks for sharing the post.
Keep sharing more and more.