Monday, October 26, 2009

Modern Kitchen Discoveries

I know I've been lagging on my posts of late and this acknowledgment doesn't mean that's going to change because I'm still just as busy. Don't worry though, I'm still here, still loving the blog and still loving design. I've been working tres hard (7 hours at school yesterday drafting) on this town house project and guess what...it's MODERN. I started out with a traditional style because that's what I naturally drift towards, and the professor told me that I needed to challenge myself more. I decided on a somewhat industrial glam look and I'm actually warming to it! The room that I've had the most trouble with is the kitchen though. It's hard to design an industrial kitchen with some Alicia B. personality in it because of all the appliances and stainless steel.


If I could have any kitchen in the world, this would be it. Designed by Joan Schindler, this kitchen has so much character and amazing details: mini tile flooring, glass door fridge, and the most beautiful pendants I've ever seen.

Here are some modern kitchens that I actually like! They have some personality in them and they're sleek as can be (in my eyes).

The different greys and blacks (and whites) add lots of interest to this kitchen though I'm not sure how that table works so close to the counter space, right? I do enjoy the appropriate seasonal accents of orange though! From Marie Claire Maison.

I kind of super like this industrial look for this loft kitchen. I love how the counter juts out of the wall with the mysterious opaque glass on the wall and rough wooden column to contrast the sleek finishes. From Marie Claire Maison.

I like the natural wood paired with the hard steel surfaces and art in the kitchen always gets me! Elle Decor.

Another kitchen with black glossy cabinetry! This one designed by Eldon Wong has open shelving under the island with pretty glass dishes which as a bit of sparkle.


If you imagine this open kitchen in a different finish than the wood as it currently is, it would be super streamlined. In the wood though, it gives off a softer more textured look. Can anybody explain the super thin sink in the island?? Designed by Ann Wolf.


I will admit, if pushed to it, some of these modern style kitchens do have their own personalities. Its hard to balance a contemporary look without it looking too much like a restaurant kitchen. I have certainly learned a lot designing one for my class and I guess I've come around! Cement counter tops, opaque glass cabinetry, and who doesn't love a brand new ultra sleek Wolf range?? I definitely do.


Alicia B.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Mmmmm, I love them all, but especially the first one and the last one. And you are right, it is so hard to do a modern kitchen without it looking like a restaurant, or worse, some condo developer's idea of a modern kitchen (ick, always so bachelor-y).

home before dark said...

At a newly minted 60, I plan to redo my kitchen in an industrial mode: open chrome shelving, walls paneled in sheet mirror, stainless appliances and whirlpool's gladiator workbenches as undercabinets. I love to cook, hate to put my head in dark cabinets, love to grab what I need, see what I need and have the tools on display. What I don't want: people in my work zone. As an empty nester, I don't have to accommodate homework stations, crafts by children etc. I want my kitchen to function and feel like a kitchen. I always seem to buck trends!

Joseph said...

You have started a very interesting discussion on kitchen design. I'm a cabinetmaker who really does not want to make kitchens for a living, because the most of what is done in the US is just boxes with a "choice of doors and drawer fronts," the most of which are made in a factory somewhere. Boring. I want to do something else if I can, but what?

European design just absolutely blows my mind, and I find myself reading quite a bit on it, even though these are often modular kitchens that one would simply send away for and have installed by a local craftsman. But what fascinates me is the utter innovation of those designs, so I find myself returning to them quite a bit.

I am also looking to design a kitchen for my wife in a too small space in a tract home, which necessarily lets out those wonderful European designs that excite me so. And whenever I find myself going out on a limb with some idea or another for our kitchen, my wife always grounds me by saying, "If you stick with the classics, you won't grow tired of them."

So, what do you do that is different and yet timeless and practical and stimulating to make if you're a cabinetmaker? Damned if I know, but if I ever figure it out, I mean to make it for us and splash that baby all over the Internet!

What you've written, though, has given me quite a bit to think about, and I thank you for sharing your concepts.

Down Pillow said...

Some really great modern kitchens, but I'm with you - I LOVE that first less-modern one from Joan Schindler :)