Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year! 2009: The Year of Happy

From Eddie Ross. Yum!


I don't really believe in New Year's Resolutions. I think they're needless--don't we have enough to worry about to begin with? The usual, lose weight, go to the gym, stop smoking etc are too cliche for words and just make you feel bad and guilty if you do them (or don't depending on which one you chose). This year I'm choosing more positive resolutions--using my power for good instead of evil.

Laughing girl from Veer.

I'd like to be nicer to people, and in turn, maybe people will be nice to me and others (it's contagious, I hear). It's something I deal with in New York and it's starting to get me down. Sort of like Pay it Forward without the alcoholism and death. I was in the suburbs yesterday at the mall (I know, it sounds so 90's) but all these random people were smiling at me. Being the hardened pseudo New Yorker that I am, I was surprised but also, I smiled back.
It was a nice feeling.

Organized closet from Martha.

Another one is to cut out the clutter. You know, keep it cleaner. As Emily at Square One Organization says, it takes the same amount of time to put something in the wrong place as it takes to put it in the right place. Organizing for me is really fun, especially when I have the time. I love receiving Martha Stewart's Organizational Tip of the Day, too.

Attractive bookworm from Domino Mag.

My older sister says that she'd like to read more. That's another good one and I wholly approve of improving one's mind as a New Years Ressie. Reading is also a good way to relax. It's much easier and more mindless to just sit down with the remote and flip the channels, but I always feel better after I've read. It doesn't necessarily need to be a book, could be the newspaper too. Thanks, you passed the test.Figueres Mansion take by ME. Is this where I'll be living? Perhaps.

Design-wise, I will be moving at the end of February into my own apartment, so one of mine will be to design my own space as best I can. I think it will be a fun fun project and THOUGH I'll be missing my roommate like crazy, it will be a new experience that I'm looking forward to. Picking out my color scheme (I've already thought about it), possible new furniture, fun decorative accents, and space planning will be some of the challenges as I'm sure I'll be moving into a shoebox with a side of kitchen and a dash of bathroom.

ME again. Drink up!

Well, it looks like I've got my work cut out for me for 2009, but I remain upbeat about it! I think 2009 should be the year of getting back to basics, cut out the greed, the meanness, and just be happy and nice. Am I living in a dream world? I don't care. What are your resolutions?

Happy New Year!



Alicia B.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I think these are excellent non-resolutions! Happy New Year!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

I have many of the same... most of all I want to get my house back in order ...get rid of some of the clutter...but have around me the things I really love (which means I will need to learn to rotate accessories better!)

Happy New Year....see you in 2009~

beauty comma said...

Hi! I'm going through all the blogs that were featured on the Desire To Inspire reading guide - finally. I think yours is really stylish! I visited NY last year, and were surprised by the facepulling that some shop employees performed if they thought you were a teensy bit slow on the uptake... (loved the city anyway though). Smiling is a quite easy non-resolution, I think! I have none except more blog-smiling=)
Happy New Year!
Trudi

Lauren said...

Great resolutions! I love the idea of being a happier person & just sort of passing it on. I think they say it affects 3 or 4 people when you're nice to 1??