Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Basket Case

Manden Basket from the Sundance Catalog for $75.

If you recall a few posts ago, I wrote about foyer spaces and realized that my sister's foyer spaces was seriously lacking. We brainstormed about a lot of different options but my favorite was the addition of a basket underneath her console table! Not only does it add visual interest but it adds storage and depth to a flat space. I love baskets because they can look old and like they have a history.
This is what we're working with.

Eileen Kathryn Boyd is one of my new fave designers these days. This is quite a tall basket but I like its wide weave.

Paula Perlini used lots of baskets here--all different. You can put fresh flowers in them (she gets so many flowers from that husband of hers anyway)!

This is just an example of the different kinds of baskets you can choose from. These are from Pima--they remind me of these gorgeous baskets that my parents have from South America. By Michael Dale.

This is part of the John Peixinho home that I can't stop looking at, but isn't this basket perfect? It peaks out the perfect amount from under the console table.

I think this basket idea would not only add a bit of depth to the foyer/console area but that area needs a bit of texture too. They have that gorgeous lacquered console and crystal candlesticks, so I think they need to let in a little softness or something with a more natural feel. Also, they could put colorful things in there like flowers, throw pillows, etc. What do you think? Any other solutions?


Alicia B.

3 comments:

Raina Cox said...

I love big baskets and I cannot lie. You other brothers can't deny...

Sorry. Cold medicine.

Down Comforter said...

I love using baskets in decorating - they're so interesting with the different weaves & finishes. And, they're so versatile :)

anusha said...

A basket under an entry-table is a great idea. I actually have no foyer, the door leads directly into my living room. This could be a great storage option for me.