Thursday, October 9, 2008

First Impressions

First impressions are very important; with people as well as homes. Besides the actual facade of the house, the front hall entrance can be the most important room. It sets the tone for the rest of the house; lets you know what kind of people live in that home. A front hall can be understated and modest or it can be grand, and make a big statement.

Noel Jeffrey. This one has a lot of visual interest in the eclectic collection of frames.


Miles Redd. This entirely mirrored front hall makes a dramatic statement and expands the space with reflections.


Suzanne Kasler. The tiled floor leads your eye to the beautiful curving staircase.


Suzanne Kasler. Uses the black and white tiled floor again for a classic yet dramatic effect.


Kips Bay In the Kips Bay showhouse, Beale-Lana uses a black/white/silver contrasting combination. I like how the staircase is so open at the bottom.


From Living Etc, this front hall makes me want to live in a little Victorian home with stained glass windows!


Living Etc. A bench is often a good solution in a smaller space. This driftwood bench is amazing.


Martha Stewart. Understated perfection with flowers!

Bilhuber. I like the neutrals and soft colors in this entry hall.


Celerie Kemble.


Victoria Hagan. Subtle architectural elements.

Jason Bell. I love this entrance hall. It's so perfectly country and I love the white painted beams that lead you into the next room. Plus it's in CT, how could you go wrong.

I wonder what kind of first impression I make. Too eager? Too Shy? Fake? Something to think about I guess.


Alicia B.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

these are lovely! What an interesting concept. I wonder what my tiny apartment says upon entering... I would hope that it says "warm welcome". Hm...

Raina Cox said...

Why do Union Jack flag pillows look so cool and our own Old Glory looks so country-fied?