Friday, October 3, 2008

House Guest 101...Dun Dun DUNNNN


Having a house guest forces you to look at yourself and your living space a little bit more objectively. You have to judge yourself with a sharper eye than usual. One of my beloved sisters is coming to stay with me over the weekend and though I am busy, I'd love to make her feel comfortable in my mini room and mini apartment. Through reading some great tips on having house guests, I'm going to take some steps towards making my room a bit more welcoming.


What a sweet bedroom by Annsley McAleer.

The first step I've started to take is cleaning up the clutter. Putting things where they belong whether its in a box, back in a drawer, up on the bookshelf, or I've decided to just plain throw it out. THEN I'll allow myself to clean/dust/windex. I love windex. The next thing to do is to literally make the room more comfortable (I don't have a guest room) so I've sent away for some extra pillows! I love big comfortable pillows on my bed.



After various preparations: keeping things neat, making sure I have certain snacks in my cupboard, and planning things to do to keep her entertained (shes SO high maintenance), I'd like to buy a little bouquet of flowers for the room. I think it makes it more intimate and adds actual life to the space! It doesn't have to be anything big (the smaller and sweeter the better).

As for the bathroom, obviously make sure it is nice and clean but make sure you have extra toiletries: toothbrush, soaps, and extra towels. Real Simple has some other great tips.

You can read more tips on, you guessed it, Martha's website. They're very helpful too if you actually HAVE a guest room. HA.


Alicia B.

4 comments:

ashie said...

wow. i would love to be a guest at your apartment. you are so considerate of your guests :)
i hope your roommate isn't a dragon! (but truth b t'd she looks so cute!)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is such a timely post for me! I'm on my way out get flowers and a few other last minute things for my weekend guests right now. Thanks so much for posting this!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to visit - and these are great tips that are small things but make all the difference!

High maintenance - what?!

Pigtown*Design said...

Do you read Style Court? She's doing a series on being a house guest.